The Brown Betty Cookbook
Sweet white chocolate mixes with crunchy slightly-salty macadamia nuts to make these cookies, from The Brown Betty Cookbook (Wiley) a departure from the norm. Exceptionally dunkable and exceedingly gift-able, they’re fab additions to your Christmas cookie list.
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 25 minutes
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon regular salt
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon sour cream
9 ounces white chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts, toasted
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes.
3. Add the granulated sugar and brown sugar to the butter and beat until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
4. Reduce the mixer speed to low, add the flour mixture and sour cream, and beat until blended. Use a wooden spoon to stir in the white chocolate and nuts.
5. Using 1/4 cup of the dough for each cookie, roll the dough into balls, slightly flatten them and spread the cookies to 2 1/2 inches wide using your fingers, and place them on 3 parchment-lined baking sheets. Cover and refrigerate the cookies until firm, about 30 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, arrange the oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
7. Bake until the cookies are golden brown, rotating the pans halfway through, about 10 minutes.
8. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 3 minutes before transferring them to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes 18 cookies
Excerpted with permission from the publisher, Wiley, from The Brown Betty Cookbook by Linda Hinton Brown and Norrinda Brown Hayat. Photography by Alison Conklin. Copyright © 2012.
How well do you get along with your grandchild and other family members? Want to know if your personalities mesh?Find out here.