One Girl Cookies
Whether devoured on their own or dunked in a hot cup of coffee, Nana Cookies from the One Girl Bakery cookbook (Clarkson Potter) are singularly comforting treats. Named for baker Dawn Casale’s own grandmother, they benefit from a dash of cloves, which infuse them with a light, warm spice. Don’t have a pastry bag? Don’t worry. Cut the corner off a Ziploc bag and use it to pipe the dough straight on to your baking sheet.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening, at room temperature
4 tablespoons (1⁄2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3⁄4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1⁄4 cup whole milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cloves, and salt.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the shortening, butter, and sugar on medium speed until the mixture is light yellow and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the egg and egg yolk, and beat for 1 minute. Scrape down the bowl again.
4. With the mixer running on low speed, mix in a third of the flour mixture and about a third of the milk. Scrape down the bowl. Add another third of the flour mixture and another third of the milk. Add the remaining flour mixture and only enough of the milk to make a smooth dough. It should not be too sticky.
5. Using a large pastry bag fitted with a star tip, pipe 1 1/2-inch-long cookies onto a parchment paper–lined baking sheet, spacing them 1 inch apart. Bake for 15 minutes until the cookies take on a little golden color along the edge. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and let them cool completely.
Makes 36 cookies
Excerpted from One Girl Cookies © 2012 by Dawn Casale and David Crofton. Reprinted with permission of Clarkson Potter. Photos courtesy of Iain Bagwell.
How well do you get along with your grandchild and other family members? Want to know if your personalities mesh?Find out here.