Think you need a knife and fork to dig into a slice of apple pie? Think again.
Submitted by California grandmother of four Jan Z., this recipe for Apple Pie Bars turns the most American of desserts into a grab-and-go snack. Hand them out to your grandchildren or bring 'em into the office for an instant round of applause.
If you're not sure where to find tapioca, check the baking section of your supermarket, or look over on the pudding and gelatin shelf.
3 cups, plus 2 tablespoons flour, divided
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) butter, chilled and cubed
1 large egg, lightly beaten
5 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon white vinegar
6 cups sliced baking apples (about 4 medium apples), peeled, cored, and sliced
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons tapioca
2 tablespoons milk
Powdered sugar (optional)
1. In a mixing bowl, combine 3 cups flour with salt. Add butter. With a fork or pastry blender, press butter into flour mixture until it resembles small crumbs. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine egg, water, and vinegar. Pour into flour mixture and stir until all is moistened and a loose dough is formed. Shape the dough into two equal-sized balls.
3. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
3. On a clean, floured surface, roll out half the dough to fit a 10x15-inch baking sheet, leaving a 1/2-inch border on the sides. Place dough on baking sheet.
4. In a medium bowl, combine apples, sugar, cinnamon, the remaining 2 tablespoons flour, and tapioca. Mix thoroughly. Arrange over dough on baking sheet in an even layer.
5. Roll out remaining dough and cover apple slices. Brush top of dough with milk. Bake 10 minutes. Lower heat to 375 degrees F. Bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool completely, and trim outer 1/2 inch of crust from all sides. (Use trimmings as an ice cream topping.) Cut remaining pie into bars, and sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
The sugar may melt on to the sides of your baking sheet. It will look messy, but is actually quite simple to clean up. A little soap and water should be all you need.
Makes 16 bars
How well do you get along with your grandchild and other family members? Want to know if your personalities mesh?Find out here.