Go to any farmers' market this time of year, and feast your eyes on those heaps of sweet, plump blueberries. Buy a few cartons (don't you just love those turquoise cardboard cartons they come in?) and dash home to make this absolutely divine dessert. Glistening blueberries are the star attraction, but flavors work in harmony here, including an unassuming, crunchy graham-cracker crust and a cream-cheese filling with just a touch of citrus.
Go. Buy blueberries. Make this now.
For the crust:
9 graham crackers, finely crushed, or 1 1/4 cups of graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
5 to 6 tablespoons butter, melted
For the filling:
1 eight-ounce bar cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 cup firm blueberries
2 tablespoons strawberry jelly
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs with sugar. Gradually add butter until crumbs are moist.
3. Press crumb mixture onto bottom and sides of tart pan. Bake for 8 to 9 minutes. Transfer pan to rack and let cool while preparing filling.
4. Mix cream cheese, sugar, and lemon extract in large bowl until very smooth. Pour batter onto cool crust. Scatter blueberries on top.
5. In small saucepan over low heat, melt jelly. With pastry brush, gently brush blueberries with jelly. Chill tart 4 to 5 hours to set. Serve at room temperature.
Serves 6 to 7
How well do you get along with your grandchild and other family members? Want to know if your personalities mesh?Find out here.