Milk & Cookies
Milk & Cookies by Tina Casaceli
Also known as Coconut-Butterscotch Meltaways or Hello, Dollys, these layered delicacies come from Tina Casaceli's Milk & Cookies: 89 Heirloom Recipes from New York's Milk & Cookies Bakery (Chronicle Books). With their graham cracker crust, chocolate-butterscotch topping, and sprinkling of toasted coconut, your grandkids will know them simply as "delicious."
3 cups (15 ounces) graham cracker crumbs
2 cups (1 pound) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
One can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
2 1/2 cups (1 pound) semisweet chocolate chips
2 1/2 cups (1 pound) butterscotch chips
2 cups (8 ounces) sweetened coconut flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place the graham cracker crumbs in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. Place the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook for about 4 minutes, or just until the butter has completely melted. Immediately pour the melted butter over the graham cracker crumbs and stir until well combined.
4. Press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom of a 17-1/4-by-11-1/2-by-1-inch jelly-roll pan, taking care to form an even layer.
5. Pour the condensed milk over the graham cracker crust, smoothing it out with a spatula.
6. Spread the chocolate chips in an even layer over the condensed milk, then spread an even layer of butterscotch chips over the chocolate. Sprinkle coconut evenly over the top.
7. Place in the oven and bake for about 12 minutes, or until the chocolate and butterscotch chips have melted and the coconut is lightly browned.
8. Remove from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack to cool.
9. When cool, use a serrated knife to cut into small bars or 2-inch squares.
10. Store in layers separated by waxed paper, airtight, at room temperature for up to a week.
Makes 16 to 24 bars
Excerpted from Milk & Cookies © 2011 by Tina Casaceli. Reprinted with permission of Chronicle Books. Photographs by Antonis Achilleos.
How well do you get along with your grandchild and other family members? Want to know if your personalities mesh?Find out here.