Betty Crocker 1500 Calories a Day Cookbook
Val Bourassa and Rich Wong
It’s time to kiss grease-laden pizzas goodbye, thanks to this light and flavorful margherita-style pie from Betty Crocker The 1500 Calorie a Day Cookbook (Wiley). Topped with juicy tomatoes, sweet basil, and tangy mozzarella, it’s a dieter’s dream (though everyone else will dig in, too).
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 3 hour 15 minutes
For the Italian-style Pizza Dough:
1 package regular active or fast-acting dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
For the toppings:
4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, well-drained
2 plum (Roma) tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly cracked pepper
1/4 cup thin strips fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
1 tablespoon small capers, if desired
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in half of the flour, 1 teaspoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the sugar. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make dough easy to handle. On lightly floured surface, knead dough about 10 minutes or until smooth and springy.
2. Grease large bowl with shortening. Place dough in bowl, turning dough to grease all sides. Cover; let rise in warm place (80 to 85 degrees F) 20 minutes. Gently push fist into dough to deflate. Cover; refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 48 hours. (If dough doubles in size during refrigeration, gently push fist into dough to deflate.)
3. Move oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease cookie sheet or 12-inch pizza pan with oil. Using floured fingers, press dough into 12-inch round on cookie sheet or pat in pizza pan, pressing dough from center to edge so edge is slightly thicker than center.
4. Cut cheese into 1/4-inch slices. Place cheese on crust to within 1/2 inch of edge. Arrange tomatoes on cheese. Sprinkle with 1/4 tablespoon salt, pepper, 2 tablespoons of the basil, the oregano and capers. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil.
5. Bake about 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons basil.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 140, Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 2.5 g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 280mg, Total Carbohydrate 17g (Dietary Fiber 1g), Protein 5g
Excerpted from Betty Crocker The 1500 Calorie a Day Cookbook © 2013. Reprinted with permission from Wiley. Photography by Val Bourassa and Rich Wong.
How well do you get along with your grandchild and other family members? Want to know if your personalities mesh?Find out here.