Our Casserole Contest Winners
“This is a recipe I made up from leftovers we had laying around,” says reader Jennie R. of Columbus, Ohio. “Casseroles are a perfect weeknight solution, as they can be a standalone, one-dish dinner, and a great way to get your (grand)kids to eat vegetables if they're picky eaters.” Jennie knows what she’s talking about, too. Her superlative dinner dish is one of five winners of the Grandparents.com Casserole Contest. Our testers loved the simplicity of preparation along with the tasty, easy, cheesy sauce. Four stars!
Click here to get this recipe as part of our FREE printable cookbook Comfort Foods: 24 Reader Recipes for Casseroles, Soups, Cakes, and More, or download the cookbook to your Kindle for $0.99 via Amazon.com.
1 lb potatoes, cubed
1 lb ham (leftover is perfect!), cubed
1 cup asparagus, chopped into 1-inch lengths
2 cloves minced garlic
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
4 Tbsp flour
2 cups milk
1 8oz block cream cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 cup Swiss cheese, divided into 1/2 cup portions
1. Boil the potatoes until tender. Drain and rinse and let cool.
2. In a 9x13 pan, spread the potatoes, ham, asparagus, and garlic. Toss to combine.
3. In a saucepan, melt the butter, and add the flour, milk, cream cheese, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Whisk constantly until the cream cheese is melted. Add half the Swiss and whisk until melted. Remove from heat.
4. Pour the cheese sauce over the ham and potatoes mixture. Sprinkle with remaining Swiss cheese and paprika.
5. Bake for 35-45 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
How well do you get along with your grandchild and other family members? Want to know if your personalities mesh?Find out here.