Betty Crocker 1500 Calories a Day Cookbook
Val Bourassa and Rich Wong
Sophisticated and satisfying, this low-calorie pie from Betty Crocker The 1500 Calorie a Day Cookbook (Wiley) is an elegant option for healthy eaters and pizza lovers alike. The pesto adds a wallop of fragrance and flavor, without overwhelming the juicy shrimp.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 40 minutes
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
2 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 lb. cooked deveined peeled medium shrimp, thawed if frozen, tail shells removed
6 tablespoons refrigerated reduced-fat basil pesto
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (2 oz)
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in honey and oil. In medium bowl, mix whole wheat flour, cornmeal and salt. Stir in yeast mixture. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the all-purpose flour as you can.
2. Place dough on lightly floured surface; knead in enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 4 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Cover; let rise in warm place (80 to 85 degrees F) 30 to 45 minutes or until nearly doubled in size.
3. Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease 2 small cookie sheets. Punch down dough; divide dough in half. Let rest 10 minutes.
4. On lightly floured surface, roll each dough half to 10- to 12-inch oval. Transfer dough to cookie sheets. Prick dough with fork. Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
5. Toss shrimp with 2 tablespoons of the pesto. Spread remaining 4 tablespoons pesto over baked crusts. Top with shrimp, sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 to 8 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 180, Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 1.5 g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 65mg, Sodium 480mg, Total Carbohydrate 17g (Dietary Fiber 2g), Protein 12g
Excerpted from Betty Crocker The 1500 Calorie a Day Cookbook © 2013. Reprinted with permission from Wiley. Photography by Val Bourassa and Rich Wong.
How well do you get along with your grandchild and other family members? Want to know if your personalities mesh?Find out here.